28 May 2021 - Indy Weekend!

1927 or 1928 William De Vore, Mechanician at right who was planning on filling in for his late father at Indy 1930.  


Hello Reader, 

If you are anything like I am the 500 holds fond memories of watching with Dad on the TV. My earliest recollection is watching on the TV with Dad in 1968 or 1969 ( I recall yellow footy fleece vividly ).

Yesterday, I was having a chat with Jonathan Gashel - Lay Down Kart Racer, Mechanic and Father. 

As we caught up, he mentioned that he and his oldest son Micah are flying in Saturday to meet up with Jonathan's Dad to continue the tradition of going to the 500.  

Jonathan's Dad has gone since 1983 - only missing 1999 & 2020.  

Jonathan started in 1988 and missed 1996, 1999 and 2020.

Micah since 2017, also missing 2020. 

Well I guess we all sorta missed 2020 in general so that doesn't really count. 

That is just one family story of the tradition of going to the track on race day.  That kind of dedication is the sort that keeps the sport alive. 

I'd like to hear yours here or on social media or even on audio/video for  The Mechanicians Podcast - you can contact me here  if you are interested - I know that I am. 

The Mechanicians have been there since before the GP of Indy of course. The work never stops in the Month of May for race car mechanics, support staff and drivers. I'll be watching the workers as well as the race and thinking of friends & the history there. Some day I'd like to go to the race - as long as I don't have to work. 

Safe luck wishes to all involved at the track https://www.indycar.com/





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 September 2020

8 September 2020

01/19/2024 Where did he go?